Monday, August 31, 2009

Girls: The "God" Method - Breakdown.

The Girls EP was rushed.
I can honestly state that it was mostly a few roughly thrown together tracks to facilitate a release based around cover art, rather than something purely music orientated.
Nonetheless, it has some interesting moments worth discussing.
The theme is of stalking, not that it is something explicitly followed outside of track names.

It was released on milkcrate (http://www.milkcrate.com.au/godinpants/girls.zip) on 06/05/2009

Title: I met this girl.
Released: 06/05/2009
Platform: LSDJ
Notes: This song is basically a mess, it was something I had been writing for a while, that was headed no where, so I decided to quickly jam it out and see where it went.
The changes are hard and often feel forced and not particularly melodic.
One thing I am quite happy with in this track, is my drum beat writing. Probably the strongest feature of the track, and something I struggled to write the rest of the song around.

Title: I followed her home.
Released: 06/05/2009
Platform: LSDJ
Notes: A perfect example of the droning melodies that dominated my early chip work.
This track also features a really nice pulse channel kick, and noise snare(although that is all the noise channel does in this track).
The track goes nowhere, dying out as quickly as it started, and finished in just over 2 minutes in length, the harmonies in the drone feel like something to return to an "fix" in the future.

Title: She didn't mind.(originally "Deadagascar")
Released: 04/05/2009 (http://8bitcollective.com/music/godinpants/Deadagascar./)
Platform: LSDJ
Notes: Probably the stand-out part of this release.
The opening riff is based of something I used to play on guitar with my band. The feel I was going for while writing was kind of "evil harpsichord" type playing, and I reinforced this sound by having the riff doubled an octave up(which causes some phase effects). Again the drums on this track are some of my favourite, the excessive use of the retrigger command, and the sound of the lofi sampled 909/606 kits, accompanied by the kick/snare combination of the noise channel.


Title: Her parents did.
Released: 06/05/2009
Platform: LSDJ
Notes: This track was written at the request of a friend, who asked for "the brutal sounds of a narwhal death battle" and originally, that is what this song was.


No comments:

Post a Comment